Earlier to give new look to the cabinet paint was used. However, if you want to renew the look, kitchen cabinet refacing is the best option. It includes keeping your existing kitchen as it is and transforming the appearance using durable plywood or laminate.
How to overcome kitchen designing challenges through refacing?
- You get a completely amazing transformation at a cheaper rate compare to the new cabinetry.
- It uses the existing layout, but there are options to add additional cabinets or peninsula.
- Are you looking for tall cabinets? Through refacing it is possible to achieve it. The experts help in increasing the height and hence, the problem is solved.
- Apart from that you can organize the kitchen using refacing which includes storage upgrade options.
- It is the most eco-friendly option. Hence, all you need to trash is cabinet doors and drawers. Also, fewer trees are cut down to construct new cabinet boxes.
- A full kitchen replacement means you cannot use your kitchen for at least six weeks. However, with kitchen refacing, you get new cabinets in just a week.
- You also get a variety of colors and finishing options which matches with the overall style of the kitchen.
- With the special care refacing can last a lifetime. You can expect to enjoy the look for 20 years or so.
The major drawback of kitchen cabinet refacing is that it requires special skills and is difficult to do it on your own.
When is refacing recommended?
- You do not want to go for an expensive option or have a low budget.
- Although you like your current kitchen layout, need some changes in style or appearance.
- When the boxes of the cabinet are in solid shape, you can go for refacing.
- Refacing is also done in case of remodeling the house.
Cost of Refacing:
The approximate cost is $7,000 to $10,000. It may thus, cost around 40 to 50 percent less than the cost of replacing cabinets in a full kitchen. For instance, full kitchen generally costs $12,000 to $20,000 if replaced. On the other hand, a refaced kitchen of the same size is approximately $7,000 to $10,000.
Process of refacing:
A cabinet refacing is done in two to four days, depending upon the size of the kitchen. It involves the following activities:
Day 1: Hardware, doors, and drawer fronts are removed. Next, the veneering is started wherein sides of the cabinet are skinned with wood veneer or laminate. At the end of the day pick up of the dirt and cleaning is done.
Day 2: Veneering process continues. Again at the end of the day cleaning work is done.
Day 3: After veneering gets over, new door hinges are installed. Further, new doors and drawer fronts are also added. Lastly, the hardware is installed and final adjustments are done.
To conclude, refacing a kitchen cabinet is indeed a cost-saving option if you are fine with the current layout.